Thursday, December 10, 2009

Review (Audiobook) - The Spiderwick Chronicles Books 1-5 by Tony DiTerlizzi


"Three ordinary kids, Jared, Simon, and Mallory Grace have discovered another world--without leaving this one! Two remarkable talents, New York Times best-sellers Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black, have risked everything to bring this remarkable account to light. Five books--one thrilling adventure -- the Spiderwick Chronicles!
Their world is closer than you think." (back cover)

It was interesting hearing an adventure/fantasy book read to you, and Luke...I mean Mark...wasn't monotone or anything - he put an effort into changing his voice for the different characters. Then again, readers who have an imagination while reading may voice characters in their heads anyway (I am not one of those people).

Pros: Hamill does a very entertaining Miss Piggy sounding voice for Hogsqueal the hobgoblin, and the "roof scene" when the hipogriff escapes and begins chasing Hogsqueal is equally entertaining to hear.

Cons: The way Hamill voiced the childrens' mother made her sound like an evil woman who hated and blamed her 9-year-old son [Jared] for all life's problems. His voice for Thimbletack reminds me of an old, whiny Dr. Seuss - potentially very annoying.

I do recommend the story, although this is a review solely on the audiobook-aspect. I picked up the hardcover version of this book after I finished the series on audiobook and noticed the lovely pictures, which almost made me wish I had read the book instead of listen to it; however, I don't have a lot of reading time on my hands, and I drive across the state several times a month, which is why I chose the audiobook version. Overall, I think it depends on whether you are a visual or auditory learner/person.

As to whether or not Hamill is a good audiobook narrator? I made it through the entire series - my coworker did not. I guess you'll just have to listen and decide for yourself.

A heads up, if you do choose to listen to this book, *most* of the [five] books end at the end of each CD, except for book five. Book five is on the end of disc four after the music that is typically played when the end of the CD is over and Thimbletack tells you to go on to the next CD for the next book.

Amazon recommends this [audio]book for ages 9-12.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright http://www.ysprincess.blogspot.com/ 2009-2012.



Disclaimer: The views expressed in the blog are the sole views of the writer (me), and do not reflect the views and/or policies of PBCLS or any other organization.

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets