Thursday, November 3, 2011

Review (Book) Scaredy Squirrel Has a Birthday Party by Melanie Watt

"Here's the story, in a nutshell:
I NEVER have big birthday parties. It's way too risky. I could be surprised by ponies or flying confetti.
So I take control of things by planning a small birthday celebration and putting on my finest suit. Then I suddenly have a change of heart and decide to add a special someone to my guest list.
Organizing a successful party for 2 requires attention to detail. But when it's party time - SURPRISE! - all my plans are thrown up in the air!
Will I survive this ordeal? Will I face the music? Will I party until I can't party any more?" (inside jacket flap)


If you have not yet read a Scaredy Squirrel book, (yes, he has his own series) you're missing out. Scaredy Squirrel books are always fun to read - the star character being a cute squirrel who is afraid of everything.


The pictures are cute; the font again is kid-friendly but legible; the story is predictable, but very comical with a sweet ending.


The only downside to this book is that it has so much detail in it that it takes an adult or very patient, older reader to absorb all the details - from one "DO" and seven "DONT'S" of partying to the one hour (and one minute)-long, 18-step "birthday party schedule". If an effort is put into attention to all these details, the reader will be rewarded with many giggles.


As with Mo Willems's books, I may try using this book in a storytime setting of a kindergarten-aged school group (on average, they tend to be more well-behaved and interactive than public groups in my experiences). Have you read this book to kids before? If so, please let me know what your result was!


Amazon recommends this book for ages 4 and up.


My rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright http://www.ysprincess.blogspot.com/ 2009-2012.



Disclaimer: The views expressed in the blog are the sole views of the writer (me), and do not reflect the views and/or policies of PBCLS or any other organization.

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets