In case you haven't already noticed, children's/YA books are my specialty, and sadly, when I was browsing this handy blog that has a compilation of reading challenges, I only came across maybe two that were specifically focused on children's books.
I did, however, notice the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die reading challenge (based on the list found in the book 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die) on Catie's blog, Pub Writes.
I thought this was a pretty spiffy idea, and I just so happen to own 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up. So I'm taking Catie's idea (after adding my own personal touches to it) and running with it. May I present to you, my first attempt at ever hosting a reading challenge -
1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up Reading Challenge 2011
- Sign up anytime between January 31 and December 30 (2011) using Mr. Linky below. I WILL NOT award entries into the giveaways (see below) if you are NOT signed up.
- The official start date for the challenge is today (January 31, 2011), but I will accept reviews done any time in 2011.
- Grab a button to display on your blog. A post on your blog announcing participation in this challenge is appreciated, but not required. Just keep in mind, more friends, more fun!
- I will be posting a monthly link-up-type-thing where you can come back and link to each of your elligible reviews. I will be having monthly giveaways for books that will work as follows:
- For each challenge-elligible book you have a review for (per month) you will get 2 entries (for books in the 0-5+ age range), 3 entries (for books in the 8+ age range), or 4 entries (for books in the 12+ age range) into the monthly book giveaway. (reward subject to change)
- If you are reading a challenge-elligible book to/with a child and you include in your review the child's reaction(s) to the book (as I do in my Storytime Suggestion posts) or corresponding activities that go with the book, you will get 2 extra entries into the monthly book giveaway. And because I'm just so generous, even if it's NOT a challenge-elligible book, if you do this you can earn 1 entry (see? Even if you don't like ANY book on the list of 1001, you can STILL participate in this challenge!). (reward subject to change)
- Books from other Reading Challenges can cross-over, as long as they are from 2011.
*If you ever notice this link is broken, please let me know right away. I will either hunt down another link or type the list myself, if I have to. Also, if you are looking for titles by recommended age, contact me and I can break it down for you.