Friday, August 13, 2010

Top Ten Picks: Favorite Books to Movies


I have to warn you...I know I didn't just make this up but by the time I procrastinated from finishing this post, I can't find this "top ten" listed on Jillian's blog.
Anyway, you know it's been too long since your last [meme]post when the picture has changed unexpectedly on you so you no longer know what you're looking at.

Trying to get back into the swing of things, though, I'm back with my top ten picks of favorite books to movies. I'll admit, the criteria may seem a little...odd...to some. My top 10 picks are not in order of my favorite movie; rather, my top 10 picks this week are books I was glad to see turned into movies, in the order that I think best improved the book. Comprende? Maybe, kinda, sorta?  
1. Shrek
Let's see if you understand what I meant about my order of the top 10 this week...Is Shrek my favorite movie? No. In fact, it's probably my least favorite of this entire list; however, did I think William Steig was on some seriously strong stuff trying to pawn the book version of Shrek off as a picture book for kids? Yes indeed! Was I glad to see it turned into a much more kid-friendly funny, cute, etc. movie? Very!

2. Peter Pan
Before you go criticizing my resonings for this being on my top ten...I know that J.M. Barrie wrote the book before the Disney movie came out; however, the Disney movie was so prominent in my young life (it's still my favorite Disney movie) and I just can't imagine me having wanted to read the book as a child without having seen the movie. Don't get me wrong, I like the book - I remember it made me cry the first time I read it, which is always a good sign if I'm that "into" it to care - it's just a bit more "grown up" than I think the [Disney] movie is. And as my Peter Pan shirt states, I'll never grow up.

3. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Movie in 3-D = awesome and really cute | Book = dull illustrations and fairly boring.
Simple, right?

4. The Passion of the Christ
Technically this movie doesn't cover an entire book...then again, my number six covers several books, so...anyway... Part of me thinks it's "bad" that I was didn't get over-emotional reading about Christ crucified in the Bible; the other part wonders how you can't cry actually seeing a depiction of it.

5. Horton Hears a Who
Needless to say, after number three, movie adaptations of books stopped making my list due to "bad" books being "saved" by movies. I don't remember a lot about Dr. Seuss from when I was little, but now that I'm an adult, I have to admit, his ability to rhyme is uncanny. Don't you think? Just a bit? Haha, okay I'll stop trying so hard. But really, to see his rhymes go from the page to the screen with talented voices, bright colors, accompanied by that little annoyingly happy ball of fluff who eats rainbows and poops butterflies...what more could a girl ask for?

6. The Spiderwick Chronicles
I'm not going to use a bunch of space rambling about the books, I've already reviewed them here, but I do think I preferred seeing the adventure rather than just listening to it. Plus, Freddie Highmore is just so cute (in a little kid way...)!

 
7. Tuck Everlasting
I don't want to spoil the book or the movie if you haven't seen or read it (I recommend both reading and watching it), so all I can really say is that I think the ending in the movie meant so much more to a hopeless romantic (such as myself) than the ending in the book... (plus I really like Alexis Bledel) Thoughts? Opinions?

 
8. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
I really enjoyed C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia series as books, so I was a little wary going to see the movie (then again I even liked the BBC versions of the first four books, so maybe it's just a really hard series to mess up?). Something about the combination of Disney magic, battle scenes, and epic music, though, won me over for the movie as well (and can I just say how disappointed I am in Disney for dropping the series because it wasn't making them enough money).

 
9. The Princess Diaries
I don't have much to say about this one - again, it's not like the book was bad. I guess there was just something special about that charming Anne Hathaway/Julie Andrews duo (and Disney!).

 
10. A Walk to Remember
Congratulations. You've made it through my top ten picks. Let's see if you still understand my order...A Walk to Remember was a hard choice because the book was great in and of itself. Then again, it's always a whole 'nother "level" of-sorts to be able to watch the story come to life (especially if you don't have a very vivid imagination while reading). Plus with this story, the whole thing is so great, so sad, and it's almost like the book and the movie tell two [almost] completely different (yet awesome either way) stories.

So, what's your top ten?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright http://www.ysprincess.blogspot.com/ 2009-2012.



Disclaimer: The views expressed in the blog are the sole views of the writer (me), and do not reflect the views and/or policies of PBCLS or any other organization.

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets