Thursday, May 27, 2010

Cincinnati - Day 5

Today was a lazy day. I showed my grandpa a police scanner app I found last night (you can click here to read about my first iPhone app adventure this trip), and the ShopSavvy app, which is an app that allows you to scan a barcode, and will then display the cheapest prices online and at local stores. (Both of these apps are free.)




Later, when I found out my grandparents hadn't seen Avatar* (after I got over my fantastical dellusions of buying them a blu ray player and the blu ray), the Redbox app** came to mind. We were both rather impressed when we found out the Walgreens down the street had the movie "in stock", and after putting it on hold, with one swipe of my credit card [at the machine], Avatar popped out.


Sometime between dinner and the movie I found some store bought cookies. When I found out my grandma only eats homemade cookies, I knew what I had to do. She just so happened to have all the ingredients to make my new favorite cookie I discovered two weekends ago - chocolate chocolate chip!

The original recipe can be found here.
I've made four slight modifications/suggestions to the recipe -
  1. Substitute half of the butter for Crisco.
  2. Use heaping cups of chocolate chips.
  3. Melt chocolate over the stove, not in the microwave. I've had horrible experiences trying to melt chocolate in the microwave that winds up either turning the chocolate white or burning it.
  4. Since the cookies turn out so dark, there's really no way of telling when they're done by the edges turning "golden brown". At the end of the 10 minutes, stick a toothpick in one of the cookies; if it comes out clean, they're done; if not, put them back in for another 30 seconds-1 minute and try again.
*To read my review of Avatar, click here.
**Reading this over, I feel like I should add an apology if I sound like an ad for Apple!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright http://www.ysprincess.blogspot.com/ 2009-2012.



Disclaimer: The views expressed in the blog are the sole views of the writer (me), and do not reflect the views and/or policies of PBCLS or any other organization.

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets